Friday, February 2, 2007

My mini-friends

My hair has strange powers. It attracts things as if with gravitational pull, and once they're near it's almost impossible to not get ensnared. I once pulled a dead bee out of there. Lord knows how long that thing struggled to escape the tangles of my Jewfro before finally succumbing.

I'm aware of its powers, so I wasn't really concerned at all when Andy told me I had something in my hair as we neared the end of a strenuous near-vertical hike up and down a waterfall. I brushed my hand through my hair and felt a smear. Bird shit, I assumed. Would that I had been so lucky. Andy gets a quizzical look on his face and tells me to hold on a second while he picks something off my shirt and eventually tells me that I should probably know that there are lots and lots of tiny white things crawling on me. That's right, it wasn't bird shit on my head; it was a spider egg sac, and it opened in my hair.

I ripped my shirt off and saw the creepy little buggers all around the neck, inside and out. Running as quickly as possible, I reached the nearest place to jump in the water and ran in. The water was freezing, but cleansing (I hope.) I pulled all the buggers off my shirt and chest and neck . I'm hoping they're out of my hair, but only time will tell on that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just burst out in shrieking laughter. Thank you for that. Mama spiders always seek tight, stable places to lay their eggs-- that certainly speaks very highly of your hair.