Sunday, February 4, 2007

Bear Down

Ah well. I got up at 6 AM today so I wouldn't miss opening kickoff. Sat in front of the TV watching ESPN international, freezing because I refused to put anything over my Bears t-shirt. And then the opening minute was glorious...and it was pretty much all downhill from there.

It's appropriate that I watched the superbowl in Vangvieng as this town is all about watching tv. There's one main drag and it's lined with bars all showing American television, all the time, and they're packed with tourists. There are TWO bars that show Friends exclusively, back to back to back episodes without end. It's surreal.

We did manage to get in a good day of tubing down a river (with plentiful watering holes and ziplines along the way) and a hike through some caves, and that seems to be about all this town has to offer aside from the TV watching. Time to move on.

And there's always next year for the Bears.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Good stuff, gents. I just caught up on all of the posts I hadn't read and I'm excited for you. Things are alright here in Albany. Look forward to reading about your next crazy venture beneath the skies.

Lodro said...

hey dudes. good to catch up on your posts as i lay hungover wondering about last night (blonde hairdresser with long purple nails and a leopard skin jacket, oy). i wish i was out there with you two! bow to a buddha then chug in each others' faces for me.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the bears, homie.

Hung out with Nicole and Liz the other day -- they send their regards. Hope you're taking pictures. Holler at your boy.