Sunday, February 18, 2007

More on New Year Festivities

Well, it's a few days late but we've been on the road and internet access has been spotty. Still, the night was weird enough that it's worth recapping, even if it's not as timely.

As Andy mentioned, there were only us and three French people staying in the enormous hotel, so I was curious about what the Tet celebration was actually going to consist of. So curious that I fell asleep at 9 PM. Not to worry though, as our phone rang at 11:30. I thought it was the alarm clock and was getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, and when I finally realized it was the phone it had gone dead. Again, not to worry, as our phone rang at 11:35. This time I answered and was invited in very hesitant English to join in on the celebrations downstairs.

I'm never one to miss a party, so down I went. Andy decided to take it easy and stay in bed, so I ventured alone down the creepy abandoned hallways. Downstairs in the main lobby, there were two rows of fifteen chairs facing each other, with a christmas-y tree on one end and two tvs on the other. One tv was showing the live New Years programming. The other one was, of course, for karaoke. Although there were probably about 30 hotel employees and their friends and family present, when I got down at 11:45 and it was practically silent and not jovial at all. Not until the karaoke machine was activated at 11:55 did it really feel like a party.

At the stroke of midnight...nothing happened. No one reacted at all. About a minute after the televised clock had shown the new year, people started to drink more and talk more, but it was not a big eruption as I'm used to. A fireworks display took place outside, but most people left while it was still in progress, eager to return to karaoke.

I stayed for the entire fireworks show and then went back to bed, looking forward to my new new year and the next day of riding.

No comments: