Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Cutest Threat Ever

Ever the thrifty one, I chose to sleep in the cheapest bungalow I could find.

Looking past the gaping holes in the floor and the sparse furnishings, I deemed the 6 ft x 8ft room sufficient for my time here on the beach. I figured I wouldn't be spending many waking hours within the dank hole where, I presume, souls go to die; and indeed I haven't.

The first night in my cell, however, was regularly punctuated by aggressive scratching sounds issuing from somewhere within the wall/ceiling above the door, a sort of half-inside and half-outside DMZ between myself and the mosquitoes. I immediately began imagining scenarios in which I may soon have found myself: a raccoon - the first documented in SE Asia - clawing through the mosquito net over my bed; a baby monkey attacking my face; a chain of red ants suddenly surrounding me; and so on, to the detriment of an otherwise pleasant night's sleep.

I hustled outside the next morning to investigate the situation, and soon discovered tiny heads and perky little ears peeking out over the rafter above the door: a mother cat with at least three tiny kittens nestled around her, frozen in fear while I stared them down.

You guys are welcome to stay there again tonight, just as long as you take care of the raccoon, monkey, and red ants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud- great post!!